Over the Counter vs. Professional Whitening Services
Teeth whitening is a popular dental treatment in the world today. Everybody wants to have a perfect white smile that they can show off at any time. Therefore, many people are opting to use over the counter at home teeth whitening kits instead of visiting a dental professional. However, there are pros and cons both to using these over the counter teeth whitening kits and going to a professional.
Over the Counter Teeth Whitening
- Over the counter teeth whitening is a cheaper option than visiting a dental professional
- The results are hard to see at first, and even after a couple weeks, the shade of your teeth may only change a little bit
- Trays are one-size-fits-all making them uncomfortable and possibly causing irritation
- The gel used in over the counter teeth whitening kits may cause your teeth to become extremely sensitive too cold and heat
- Can be harmful to your health if applied in an improper way
Professional Whitening Services
- Immediate results after treatment with your dentist, resulting in shades up to 6 times brighter
- It is safe. Your dental professional will know exactly how to apply gels and trays to your teeth
- Custom-fit trays will allow you to take your teeth whitening kit home with no worries about missing areas or bleaching your gums
- Dentists have products that will work no matter what dental issues you may have
- Dental treatments are more expensive than over the counter teeth whitening products
When it comes to teeth whitening, it is true when they say “you get what you pay for”. Over the counter teeth whitening products may be cheaper, but they are also less safe and not as effective. Using teeth whitening kits bought at a store could cause further issues down the road, while not even showing any signs of whitening. Professional whitening services are safe and effective, leaving you with a new shiny set of white teeth.